Thursday 10 May 2012

Disabled people left to flush government shit

As some of you may know, I have been signing on [since April] as one of the many millions who are unemployed.  As part of my preliminary indoctrination into the quasi-masonic rituals designed to humiliate those who dare register and seek modest levels of state support, I realised that Job Centre + could text me, bit not vice versa.  Odd, I thought.  
Being deaf I assumed that once I explained to staff about my disability, they would quickly set up a system allowing me to contact them by text messaging rather than phone calls [not always possible depending on how good/bad my residual hearing levels are].
When I raised the issue with staff at my local office, I encountered much bewilderment and sucking of teeth and out-of-the-side-of-mouth comments on the snail's pace at which the Department of Work & Pensions [DWP - an Orwellian title if ever there was] embraced IT.  Indeed on the day I registered, the work of registering was conducted at snail's pace as the network was 'down'.
Given the response, I raised a simple Freedom of Information request with the DWP.  I asked for :
The arrangements that DWP has currently in place and widely available for deaf/ hearing impaired people to use text messaging as a 2-way option for contacting (and being contacted by) the DWP generally at national level and at each local Jobcentre Plus office.
Deaf/ hearing impaired people are not always able to use phones to call and contact the DWP and Jobcentre Plus, especially in such contexts as advising that one might be late for signing on. Text messaging should be an option for them and systems need to be in place to ensure that messages are dealt with promptly by the DWP and Jobcentre Plus.
All of this would be a ‘reasonable adjustment’ in terms of the Equality Act 2010.
I got the usual response, answering questions I hadn't asked and requiring me to search through the mountain of manure to locate the essence of where DWP was at with text messaging for deaf people.

Here is some of the core response, in their own words:
The Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) is committed to providing excellent customer service. The Department does have SMS text messaging in place, however, these are one way and are used to relay messages from the Department to our customers, for example details of job vacancies and interview times. Currently, customers who wish to contact the Department will have to use either a telephone, textphone or attend the jobcentre.
The use of SMS text messaging is a relatively new service for the DWP and we are still exploring ways to maximise the use of this technology.

Put simply, the DWP has no plans to make it possible for people, including deaf people, to use text messaging to contact their local JC+ office.  There is simply no understanding of equalities and of how their structures, systems, attitudes and cultures are discriminatory.

Ian Duncan-Smith - leaves disabled people
to  flush his shit
But then this is a major government department which is run by someone [Ian Duncan-Smith] who thinks it is OK to use a toilet designated for use by disabled people and when caught leaving it after keeping someone waiting, was found to be doing a runner without even flushing it.  Speaks volumes that a government minister thinks it of no great moment that he leaves disabled people to deal with his shit, literally as well as metaphorically.


No comments:

Post a Comment