Thursday 8 December 2011

Two Pandas or the futures of 100,000+ young people?

Angela Constance - Minister
for Youth Employment -
will be paid £81,449
I'm going to try and keep this blog short [that counts as hard work for me] and simple [that is also hard work for me as I love exploring all the nuances .......].

  • there are now over 100,000 young people [16-24 years old] unemployed in Scotland
  • Angela Constance was recently appointed as Minister for Youth Employment
  • the post has no decision making powers. It has to report to two Cabinet Secretaries
  • she will be paid £81,449
  • there is to be a £30 million budget for youth unemployment [it is not 'new' money, it is re-allocated money]
  • that equals an investment of just over £300 per young person currently unemployed.

  • there are now two Pandas in Scotland
  • No Minister for Pandas been appointed
  • Panda leasing costs to be paid to Chinese government are £600,000 a year for 10 years
  • Panda food costs £70,000 a year
  • that equals an investment of over £335,000 a year, for each panda

A spokeswoman for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (Peta) said: 
"Edinburgh Zoo is putting the 'con' in conservation by trying to hoodwink the public into believing that the salvation of pandas lies in warehousing these sensitive animals."
Chris Draper, of the Born Free Foundation, said the panda deal was a 
"short-sighted and retrograde step".


Deputy First Minister Nicola Sturgeon told Channel4 News she is 
"very optimistic"
 about the extra visitor numbers the pandas will attract in order to pay for the loan.  She described them as a 
"very generous and welcome gift"
from the people of China to Scotland.

Go figure.

2 comments:

  1. You can really make me smile,Wlad, which is an exceedingly difficult job these days. I'm wondering about the discrepancy between the Panda's life and mine
    Why I wish I were a panda;
    1.I would have enough money to live on:
    2.People would come and visit me:
    3.I would not have to fill out DLA forms.
    4. ATOS would have no interest in my situation.
    5. I would feel that I was of some interest - even if it was only to kids.

    Perhaps these comments define the state of the nation.

    "A country implies politics, economics and culture. Political space gives authority. Economic space gives autonomy. Cultural space gives aura.......
    It was a politician, not a poet, who said: without vision the people die."
    Kenneth White, The Consignia lecture, 2001.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In order to live like ordinary decent human beings we must act like heroes.
      As well as that we need to retain that ability to seek out the absurd and laugh at it.
      I have witnessed awful moments in the lives of decent human beings and am prone to dark periods when a smile rarely passes across my face. Then I read about such as the Pandas and find my ability to laugh has come home again.
      I am glad you are able to smile.

      Delete